Sunday, November 21, 2010

Week four begins...

I have officially been in Thailand for a month. I can't believe how fast the last couple of weeks has gone. Things are definitely getting easier or maybe I'm just learning to let go a little. I don't care so much about the lizards anymore. That's a good sign.




The annual Loy Krathong festival was last night. It is held on the night of the full moon in November. People gather at the river and release 'Krathongs' into the river with lighted candles on them and burning incense as a way to give back to river for what the river provides to them. They also light lanterns and set them lose into the sky. They are sort of like mini hot air balloons. The river and the sky are covered in glowing specks, it's a beautiful sight to behold. Ten there are fireworks over the river and beauty contests and food and games and a lot fun. I went downtown yesterday with the teachers and walked in a parade behind a float that the students from the school had built. I think I was the only white person walking. There were many cameras filming and a lot of them stopped on me cause I was so out of place. I may have made the local news:) We walked about 3 Km to the river where all the floats stopped so they could be displayed. It was such a fun night and a great experience. I released a krathong into the river and watched it float away and mix with the hundreds of others. I also lit a lantern and released it into the sky. It was such a  to be apart of this ritual. One of my kindergarten students came in 3rd in the Miss Noppamad kid contest. She was adorable. One of the teachers at the school got the most popular award in the Miss 'Lady-Boy' Noppamad competition which is a drag beauty contest. I felt like I was back on Halsted Street in Chicago! This night was a really great chance to witness the beauty of this culture. I'm finally able to put up some pictures!!! These are from last night but I'll get more up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment