Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Week 1- Simple Things

I am somewhere in the northwest of Thailand in the capital city of a province called Kamphaengphet. My situation is better than most. It’s really scary and I am completely alone. Two people here speak very broken English and the rest only speak Thai. The house I am staying in is about 3 km outside of town and I have no transportation to get there besides my feet. There is no refrigerator, so even if I got to town to get food it would have to be packaged stuff like chips and things. I got to town yesterday with one of the nieces (Puy) of the director at the school so that I could get an internet card. I was really excited that if I had to be alone in the woods then at least I would have internet. Well I’m too far in the woods so the usb thing that I bought can’t pick up any signals. 
The people at the school have been taking care of me though. They have made sure that I have eaten and they even took me to a movie last night. It was completely in Thai but I know that it was about drag queens and terrorism. Then we went out for noodle soup which consisted of wide rice noodles, squid, a pink marshmellow teady bear, onion, egg and a chocolate bar.
After dinner we went to the night market so that I could get work clothes since apparently none of mine were appropriate. I was in a little shop trying on skirts and tops over my clothes and I felt like a giant. None of the shirts could button up over my boobs and the skirts were made for barbie dolls. People were laughing at me. I think in Thai sizes I am a super XL. The girl that was helping me (Puy) said that I will lose weight eating rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment