Sunday, November 14, 2010

Finished week 1 of teaching

So I’ve just finished my first week of teaching. I feel like all I do is bitch but I’m going to continue... The kids are terrors and they treat my class like a joke and because I’m an “alien” they don’t have to listen to me. They may not know what I’m saying but they know how I’m saying it and I say things sternly or smack the whiteboard and they just stare at me for a second and then go on screaming and kicking each other (or humping the floor as one young boy likes to do). Not all of them are like this. The girls are relatively quiet and obedient but they are distracted by the rowdy boys. I feel for the little ones who want to learn. I spend most of my time trying to regain control of the class and not so much time on teaching. I hope that this is something that will correct itself over time or maybe I just need to be more astute. 
I like my house and I’m sure I have better living conditions than a lot my colleagues but I am constantly on lizard patrol and giant spider tried to attack me in my bathroom the other morning. My fear of moths and butterflies has been squashed by bigger more threatening things. By biggest fear here is that I wake up with a lizard on my chest staring at me. I think within the five months that I am here that the odds are pretty good of that happening. Those ass-holes chirp at me! I can always tell one is near by the chirping! I thought they were crickets at first and was pleased to hear nature since I don’t get it in Chicago. It didn’t take me long to figure out that it was those slippery, speedy little jerks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment